OBS & GYNAECOLOGY
Obstetrics and gynaecology are two medical specialities that deal with the reproductive system of a female.
Obstetrics mainly deals with taking care of pregnant women, unborn baby, labour, delivery as well as the immediate period following childbirth. An obstetrician guarantees that both mother and child get the best care and labour and delivery are accomplished without facing any complications.
When a woman is pregnant, many complications can arise which may require various medical procedures. These include:
- Extra Uterine Pregnancy (ECTOPIC pregnancy), a condition where the embryo is in a fallopian tube
- High-risk pregnancies including Pre-eclampsia, GDM, Gestation Hypertension
- Foetal distress caused due to compression
- Screening during pregnancy for medical conditions, high blood pressure and infections
- Early pregnancy and its complications
- Screening of foetus during pregnancy for chromosomal abnormalities and infections
- Postpartum haemorrhage and its management
- Postpartum complication including medical and psychological problems
The obstetrician is trained in these and many other difficulties which arise during childbirth. They ensure both mother and baby are safely taken through all the phases of pregnancy as well as childbirth. Whether it is a normal delivery or through a planned or emergency caesarean section, an obstetrics hospital and obstetrician are equipped to handle any variation that may arise during natural, but sometimes the complex course of childbirth.
Our unique maternity ‘Bundle of Joy’ programme for pregnant women includes prenatal (pre-delivery) & postnatal (post-delivery) classes, infant care, and breastfeeding classes. Our state-of-the-art technology includes a Wireless CTG that gives an accurate differentiation between maternal and foetal heart rate and allows free movement for women during induction and labour.
Gynaecology deals with any condition related to the reproductive organs such as the uterus, fallopian tubes, cervix, vagina, and ovaries. It is a medical field associated with the science of reproduction system and involves different phases of a woman’s life like adolescence, reproduction, menopause and even beyond that. A gynaecology hospital also treats problems related to the bowel, bladder and the urinary system.
Even though the majority of gynaecologists are also obstetricians, the field of gynaecology emphasises on all other aspects of a female’s reproductive health from the beginning of puberty through menopause and even beyond that.
Gynaecology comprises of the preventive care and curative aspects including:
- Preventive care such as pap smear, mammography and screening
- Problems related to adolescence such as pre-ovarian puberty, amenorrhea and more
- Menstrual irregularities
- Peri-menopausal issues
- Post-menopausal conditions such prolapse, incontinence, post-menopausal bleeding
- Screening, detection and treatment of gynaecological malignancies
Usually, women see their gynaecologist for their annual Pap test and pelvic exam. Some other reasons they see a gynaecologist are for any pain, discomfort or infection in the uterus, breasts or genitals. Furthermore, gynaecologists also provide assistance with infertility issues as well as contraception. Gynaecology is all about diagnosing and treating diseases of the reproductive system such as cancer of the fallopian tubes, ovaries, cervix, uterus, and vagina. A gynaecologist also helps in treating prolapse of the pelvic organs. This ailment is usually present in postmenopausal females with weakened pelvic muscles that are unable to support the uterus or bladder normally.
The TNWH Obstetrics and Gynaecology department is one of the best maternity hospitals which offer the finest care to women seeking gynaecological help. Our broad spectrum of services includes adolescent health programme, preconception counselling, reproductive medicine, pre-natal classes, preventive health programme, high-risk pregnancy care, contraceptive medicine, IVF programme, menopausal care, assisted conception and infertility solutions.